SYA Teacher Resources
High School (SYA)
1. REGISTER YOUR SCHOOL
To register your school in the SYA program, call the SATCC and speak to the SYA Coordinator who will set your account up in MyATC. You will be provided with a registration code to login to MyATC for the first time. You can share this registration code with others in your organization so they can access your school’s account. A guide to MyATC registration for schools can be found here.
If your school has never been involved with SYA previously, you will also be required to fill out the School Enrollment Request Form and submit it to the SYA Coordinator at [email protected]. You will only need to register your school once.
School Enrolment Request Form – Printable
SYA encourages young people to explore opportunities in the skilled trades through research and hands-on learning. As the SYA Champion for your school, you are responsible for approving student registrations, administering SYA challenges, tracking students’ progress and reporting on their completion in MyATC. Follow the steps below to get started!
You can also find everything you need—including the information listed below and answers to frequently asked questions—in the Teachers' Package.
2. REGISTER STUDENTS
Students can register themselves in the SYA program through MyATC. They will require a Saskatchewan Account and must select MyATC as a service to connect to their account. Once in MyATC, they can submit an SYA application. For more information contact the SYA Coordinator at [email protected].
View the Teacher SYA Champion Cheat Sheet for help with registering students and other SYA tasks within MyATC.
3. ADMINISTER CHALLENGES & TRACK PROGRESS
Administer and help students complete the three levels (12 challenges) of SYA, and track their progress using the SYA Passport and MyATC.
SYA Challenges – PDF
SYA Challenges (French)
SYA Passport – Printable Passport or fillable
SYA Passport French - Printable Passport French
SYA Challenge Supports:
Apprenticeship Terminology List and Quiz
Apprenticeship Terminology List (French)
Young Worker Readiness Certificate Course (YWRCC)
SYA Champions can submit the SYA Enrolment Tracking Form through MyATC to update their youth apprentices’ progress.
Once students have completed all three levels of SYA, submit Student Enrolment Tracking Forms through MyATC and indicate that the certificates of completion are desired. We encourage you to submit the request for certificates of completion as close to Grade 12 graduation as possible, as the benefits awarded for completing the SYA program expire five years from the date the certificate is issued. Once the certificate is issued, SYA Champions or participants can print off the certificate through MyATC.
For further help with tasks within MyATC, visit the MyATC Knowledge Centre.
MIDDLE YEARS LESSON PLAN (NOT A REQUIREMENT OF SYA)
The resources below are not part of SYA, but they can be used to help students in Grades 7-9 develop an interest in the skilled trades before entering high school. These lessons were developed in partnership by the Prairie South School Division, the Saskatchewan Construction Association, the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission, the Saskatchewan Ministry of Education, Trade Up Saskatchewan, the Saskatchewan Construction Safety Association and Westridge Construction Ltd.
- Introduction – Introduction to the Skilled Trades
- Lesson 1 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades
- Lesson 1 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades_Middle Years Terminology
- Lesson 1 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades_What is Apprenticeship brochure
- Lesson 2 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades
- Lesson 2 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades_An Educator’s Guide to a Career in the Skilled Trades
- Lesson 3 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades
- Lesson 3 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades_Essential Skills – PowerPoint
- Lesson 4 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades
- Lesson 5 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades
- Lesson 6 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades
- Lesson 6 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades_Wall Blueprints with No Measurements
- Lesson 7 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades_Basic Blueprint Theory
- Lesson 7 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades_Intro to Blueprint Reading – PowerPoint
- Lesson 7 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades_Essential Skills Activities for Trades (Basic Blueprint Theory)
- Lesson 8 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades
- Lesson 8 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades_Wall Blueprints with Imperial Measurements
- Lesson 9 – Introduction to the Skilled Trades_Career Pathway Scavenger Hunt
- Additional Lessons – Introduction to the Skilled Trades