APPRENTICESHIP FEE UPDATES
Saskatchewan Apprenticeship is committed to maintaining a responsive, industry-driven apprenticeship certification system that meets labour market needs. In order to meet this mandate, Saskatchewan Apprenticeship is raising apprenticeship fees.
These increases will allow us to continue providing our apprentices with timely, high-quality technical training, and will help ensure the long-term sustainability of the apprenticeship and certification system of training in Saskatchewan.
Apprenticeship training and trade certification remains one of our province’s most cost-effective post-secondary training options. Apprentices do the majority of their learning on the job while earning a good wage. And apprenticeship leads to a rewarding, well-paying career in the skilled trades. Apprentices spend only 15 per cent of their time in technical training, and they only pay tuition fees while attending training.
- Tuition fees are increasing by $10 per week, from $95 per week to $105 per week for most programs.
- Apprentices usually attend eight weeks of technical training over a course of four years. Technical training will now cost approximately $840 per year with the increase. Previously, apprentices paid about $760 per year. So the increase works out to about $80 more per year.
- Apprentice fees will change as follows:
- registration fee will increase from $175 to $200;
- written exam fee will increase from $100 to $125;
- practical exam fee will increase from $160 to $175;
- examination review fee will increase from $100 to $125.
- For a complete, updated list of tuition fees and corresponding trades, please visit Saskapprenticeship.ca/quick-links/technical-training-information
- In order to ensure that our apprentices continue to have access to timely, quality training, we need to adjust fees from time to time.
- Saskatchewan Apprenticeship contracts a variety of post-secondary institutions, including Saskatchewan Polytechnic, to provide training. Training costs continue to increase over time.
- New tuition and registration fees are effective January 1, 2018.
Who Does It Affect?
- These fees impact apprentices—those who are attending technical training, those who are registering with us, and those who are writing examinations.
Financial Assistance Available:
- Employment Insurance while attending training
- Provincial Training Allowance offered through the Ministry of the Economy while attending technical training, for those who qualify
- The Federal Apprenticeship Incentive Grants in Red Seal trades offer $1,000 for successful completion of Level 1 training, $1,000 for successful completion of Level 2 training, and a $2,000 Apprenticeship Completion Grant for achieving journeyperson certification
- Federal Tradesperson’s Tools Deduction of up to $500 annually to help cover the cost of new tools
- The Saskatchewan Graduate Retention Program provides a tax credit on tuition fees paid by eligible graduates who live in Saskatchewan and who file a Saskatchewan income tax return
- The Canada Apprentice Loan provides apprentices registered in Red Seal trades with access to up to $4,000 interest-free for each level of technical training
- For more information on financial supports, please visit: https://saskapprenticeship.ca/resources/tax-programs/
For More Information:
- Please call 1-877-363-0536 or email [email protected] if you have questions, or would like further information.