Saskatchewan Apprenticeship Training Allowance (ATA)
As an apprentice, you may be eligible to receive Employment Insurance while attending apprenticeship technical training.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Applying for Employment Insurance.
To apply for Employment Insurance, you must apply online at www.servicecanada.gc.ca.
Apply immediately after your last day of work. Your claim START DATE is the day you apply online. You do not need your Record of Employment to start your claim process.
Upon receipt of your tuition, the SATCC will forward to you:
- Tuition Receipt and Confirmation of Attendance
- Federal Information Sheet. The information sheet will provide a reference code which you will need to apply online for employment insurance.
See Technical Training for more information.
In addition, you may be eligible to receive an Apprenticeship Training Allowance providing:
- You apply for, and are eligible to collect, Employment Insurance; are currently receiving Employment Insurance; or, are deemed an “Insured Participant” by Employment Insurance officials. (Insured Participant means you don’t have enough hours to start a new EI claim, but you have been on EI within the last three years.)
- You are required to maintain a second residence at the location of training, at additional cost; and
- Your home residence is 50 km or more away from the training location.
The rate for apprentices whose principal or secondary residence, for the purposes of attending technical training, is located in the Northern Saskatchewan Administration District will receive $175 per week. In all other cases, $125 per week applies.
Please complete and return the form below if you are applying for an Apprenticeship Training Allowance and want any additional exemptions other than the basic personal amount deducted. Please return the forms to the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship office.
- Apprenticeship Training Allowance Application – If you are printing a hard copy of this form, ensure you select “Fit to page” under your printer settings.
- Apprenticeship Training Allowance Application Instructions
SASKATCHEWAN GRADUATE RETENTION PROGRAM (GRP)
Saskatchewan is thriving and opportunities for graduates have never been bigger. Choose to live and build your future right here in Saskatchewan and you could be eligible for a refundable income tax credit. The Graduate Retention Program (GRP) provides a tax rebate up to $20,000 to graduates that remain in Saskatchewan and file a Saskatchewan income tax return.
GOVERNMENT OF CANADA FINANCIAL INCENTIVES
Government of Canada Tuition Tax Credit, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.
APPRENTICESHIP INCENTIVE GRANT FOR WOMEN
In Budget 2018, the Government of Canada announced a new Apprenticeship Incentive Grant for Women to further support women in entering, progressing, and completing their training in Red Seal trades where women are underrepresented. The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant for Women (AIG-W) is a taxable cash grant of $3,000 per year/level (or equivalent) up to a maximum amount of $6,000 per person. More information