Ironworker (Structural/Ornamental) workers field fabricate, weld, cut, erect and dismantle structural, miscellaneous and ornamental work. They also erect and place pre-cast concrete, and rig and place machinery and equipment.
What do Ironworkers (Structural/Ornamental) do?
- Read blueprints and specifications to lay out work.
- Unload and position steel units so each piece can be hoisted as needed.
- Erect and install scaffolding, hoisting equipment and rigging.
- Align and weld or bolt steel units in place.
- Erect and place pre-cast concrete, and rig and place machinery and equipment.
- Examine structures and equipment for deterioration, defects or non-compliance with specifications.
For further details about this occupation, please see the High School to Apprenticeship Handbook, or find it on this website under “Resources.”