SYA Industry Scholarship - Employers
The SYA Industry Scholarship program was initiated by the SATCC and the Saskatchewan Construction Association (SCA) in 2009 to create a positive impact on youth as they complete high school and make career decisions. Since then, many other sponsors have come on board.
As of June 2021, 59 sponsors have invested nearly $750,000 into the fund. The Government of Saskatchewan has also invested through the Saskatchewan Innovation and Opportunities Scholarship, bringing total contributions to $1.2 million.
The SYA Industry Scholarships reward those who have demonstrated a high level of commitment and achievement in the Saskatchewan Youth Apprenticeship (SYA) program. The scholarships are also an investment in the future of Saskatchewan youth and the skilled trades workforce, with benefits to sponsors.
SYA Industry Scholarship Benefits to Sponsors:
- It is an opportunity for the sponsor to recruit outstanding apprentices.
- The sponsor is supporting youth in the community.
The SATCC will issue the sponsor a receipt for tax purposes.
- Every attempt will be made to match the named scholarship to an individual interested in entering the trade or sector of the sponsor’s choice.
- The named scholarship will be profiled and awarded at a graduation ceremony or similar event. Schools are encouraged to offer the sponsor the opportunity to present the scholarship.
- The sponsor will be promoting skilled trades as first choice careers to Saskatchewan youth, guidance counsellors and administrators
As of June 2021, there are more than 300 schools and nearly 4,500 students currently registered in the SYA program.