Tilesetters construct, alter and repair structures with tile, granite, slate, marble, terrazzo and other similar materials.
What do Tilesetters do?
- Prepare, measure and mark surface to be covered.
- Build underbeds and install anchor bolts, wires and brackets.
- Mix, apply and spread mortar, cement, mastic, glue or other adhesives using hand trowel.
- Set tiles in position and apply pressure to affix tiles to base.
- Cut and fit tiles around obstacles and openings using hand and power cutting tools.
- Pack grout into joints between tiles and remove excess grout.
- Remove and replace cracked or damaged tiles.
- Lay and set mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural and floor designs.
- Cut, polish and install marble and granite.
For further details about this occupation, please see the High School to Apprenticeship handbook, or find it on this website under “Resources.”