Metal Fabricator (Fitter)
Metal Fabricators (Fitter) lay out, fabricate, cut and assemble structural steel, plate and miscellaneous metals.
What do Metal Fabricators (Fitter) do?
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints, determine the materials required, and plan the sequence of tasks to cut metal most efficiently.
- Lay out reference points and patterns on heavy metal according to component specifications.
- Assemble and fit metal sections and plates to form complete units or sub-units using tack welding, bolting, riveting or other methods.
- Rig, hoist and move materials to storage areas or within worksite.
- Set-up and operate various heavy-duty metal-working machines, such as brake presses, shears, cutting torches, grinders and drills, including computer numerical control equipment to bend, cut, form, punch, drill or otherwise form heavy-metal components.
For further details about this occupation, please see the High School to Apprenticeship Handbook, or find it on this website under “Resources.”