Individuals working in this trade fabricate and weld rebar. They also handle, cut, sort, bend, tie and install rebar and other materials used in reinforcing concrete.
What do Ironworkers (Reinforcing) do?
- Read blueprints and specifications to lay out work.
- Unload and position steel units so each piece can be hoisted as needed.
- Erect and install scaffolding, hoisting equipment and rigging.
- Align and weld or bolt steel units in place.
- Position and secure steel bars or metal mesh in concrete forms to reinforce concrete structures.
- Examine structures and equipment for deterioration, defects or non-compliance with specifications.
- Assemble and erect steel bars or metal mesh in concrete forms to reinforce concrete structures.
For further details about this occupation, please see the High School to Apprenticeship handbook, or find it on this website under “Resources.” More information can also be found athttp://tradeupsask.ca/ironworkers.