Rig Technicians operate and maintain drilling rig equipment, systems, pumps and engines.
What do Rig Technicians do on the job?
- The Motorhand looks after the engines and other machinery. The Motorhand trains and supervises junior crewmembers (level 1).
- The Derrickhand assists the Driller with equipment maintenance and looks after the pumps and mud system (level 2).
- The Driller monitors and records the progress of the drilling operation, as well as be responsible to develop a well-trained, responsible and safety-conscious crew (level 3).
The Rig Technician Motorhand (Level One) regularly maintains drilling rig engines, transmissions, heating systems, diesel electric generators and motors, hydraulic systems and other mechanical equipment; maintains equipment logs and preventative maintenance records; monitor inventories of fuel, oil filters, lube oils, greases and other service items; participates in rig mobilization and de-mobilization; and may supervise and train floorhands and labourers.
The Rig Technician Derrickhand (Level Two) regularly operates drilling fluid systems and pumps during drilling; mixes fluid chemicals and additives; handles sections of drill string assembles from a platform on the rig derrick during tripping operations; monitors and records mud flows and volumes and fluid properties; participates in rig mobilization and de-mobilization; and includes all of the work performed by a motorhand (level one).
The Rig Technician Driller (Level Three) operates the draw-works, rotary equipment and pumps and supervises the assembly of drill strings; ensures that safety and support equipment is functioning properly; monitors and keeps records of the progress of drilling operations; participates in the supervision of mobilization and de-mobilization; is responsible for supervising rig crews; and includes all of the work performed by a motorhand (level one) and a derrickhand (level two).
For further details about this occupation, please see the High School to Apprenticeship Handbook, or find it on this website under “Resources.”
RIG TECHNICIAN DOWNLOADS
- Entrance Requirements for Apprenticeship Training
- A Guide to Course Content
- On-the-Job Training Guide
- Motorhand Level One Examination Information
- Derrickhand Level Two Examination Information
- Driller Level Three Examination Information
- Motorhand Level One Journeyperson Examination Information
- Derrickhand Level Two Journeyperson Examination Information
- Driller Level Three Interprovincial Journeyperson Examination Information