To work in a skilled trade in Saskatchewan, the following steps will occur:

1. Assessment with the SATCC.  Assessments will occur on a first-come, first-served basis, and  typically takes 4 to 6 weeks from application. All correspondence is received and sent through mail service, and will be sent directly to you the client, or to a representative. A form must be filled out for someone to represent you (Consent to Release Personal Information Form). Please remember all documentation must be translated.

– Apply for an assessment by mailing:

  • Form 7 – Trade Qualifier Application (fee of $380)
  • Certificates and Transcripts (translated)
  • Employer letters verifying apprenticeship and trade experience hours (with hours broken down and signed by each employer)
– Once the SATCC receives the application, the assessment will take place. The assessment will review:
  • Certificates and transcripts for equivalency
    • Apprenticeships
    • National Craft Certificates
    • City and Guilds
    • Vocational certificates and transcripts
  • Hours and years of trade experience
    • Type of company
    • Type of work
    • Total hours in the trade
      • Compulsory trades: Minimum of 7,200 hours required
      • Voluntary trades: Minimum of trade requirement
– Applicants will receive an assessment result letter from the SATCC. If deemed “eligible,” once IN Saskatchewan, applicants can apply with Form 2 and $100.00 to challenge the Red Seal exam. Applicants can also use the result letter for the work permit process.


2. a) If working in a “compulsory” trade:
– There are four “compulsory” trades in Saskatchewan: Construction Electrician, Plumber, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic, Sheet Metal Worker
  • Submit a copy of your work permit to SATCC.
  • Submit an Apprenticeship Contract (Form A or Form B) with your employer to the SATCC.
  • SATCC will issue a “special permit” card with an expiry date. Carry it on your person to prove eligibility to work in a compulsory trade in Saskatchewan has been met.
  • Must complete Form 2 ($100 fee) prior to the expiry date on the special permit card to write Interprovincial Journeyperson exam.
2. b). In a voluntary trade:
  • Submit a copy of your work permit to SATCC.
  • Complete Form 2 ($100 fee) to write the Interprovincial Journeyperson exam.


3. Write the exam.
– You may have a non-trade related translator for the exam.
  • Must indicate “Translator Required” on the Form 2.
  • Accommodation forms will be completed with the SATCC field consultant.

– As a work permit holder, you have a maximum of two attempts at the exam.

  • Work permit holders can attend online upgrader only.
  • Special permit card can be extended to the expiry of the work permit for exam/upgrading purposes.


More information and useful links:

  1. IMMSKILLS:  The SATCC and the Canadian International Training and Education Corporation (CITREC) have signed a partnership agreement to offer Skilled Trade Assessment for Foreign-Trained nationals. CITREC through its partnership with SATCC, will be offering  the Skilled Assessment Service  in foreign countries under the IMMSKILLS brand.  More information.
  2. Getting Licensed in a Regulated Occupation – Process Map
  3. Now Easier for Immigrants to get Licensing Information
  4. Saskatchewan Immigration Nominee Program (SINP)
  5. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (Service Canada)
  6. Working in Saskatchewan
  7. Form 7 – Trade Qualifier Application
  8. Immigration Options for Skilled Tradespersons: The New Federal Skilled Trades Program