Automotive Painters appraise and refinish motor vehicle bodies. This is a subtrade of the Motor Vehicle Body Repairer (Metal and Paint) trade. Individuals working in this specific area may write an Interprovincial examination for a proficiency certificate with a Red Seal endorsement.
What do Automotive Painters do on the job?
- Use hand tools, power tools and paint spraying equipment while refinishing motor vehicle bodies.
- Computerized paint colour reading, generating paint formulas and tinting recommendations.
- Restoring vehicle finishes once body work is completed.
- Removing exterior trim and hardware.
- Removing layers of sub-coating; matching colours and mixing paints.
- Preparing metal surfaces for painting by spot filling, sanding and masking; applying primers, primer surfacers, enamels, clearcoats and urethanes.
- Cleaning and polishing painted surfaces including removing and replacing decals; and applying rubberized undercoating treatments.