Lathers (interior systems mechanics) measure cut and install drywall sheets. They also install specialized ceilings.
What do Lathers do on the job?
- Measure, cut and fit drywall sheets for installation on wooden walls and ceilings.
- Position and secure sheets to metal or wooden studs or joists.
- Fabricate and install suspended metal ceiling grids and place in panels to form acoustical and coffered ceilings.
- Fill joints using taping machine and embed tape in compound.
- Smooth out excess compound and sand seams and joints.
- Installs steel stud framework.
For further details about this occupation, please see the High School to Apprenticeship handbook, or find it on this website under “Resources.”