Ironworker (Structural/Ornamental) workers field fabricate, weld, cut, erect and dismantle structural, miscellaneous and ornamental work. They also erect and place pre-cast concrete, and rig and place machinery and equipment.
What do Ironworkers (Structural/Ornamental) do?
- Read blueprints and specifications to lay out work.
- Unload and position steel units so each piece can be hoisted as needed.
- Erect and install scaffolding, hoisting equipment and rigging.
- Align and weld or bolt steel units in place.
- Erect and place pre-cast concrete, and rig and place machinery and equipment.
- Examine structures and equipment for deterioration, defects or non-compliance with specifications.
For further details about this occupation, please see the High School to Apprenticeship handbook, or find it on this website under “Resources.” More information can also be found athttp://tradeupsask.ca/ironworkers.