What do Gasfitters do?
- Read blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine proper material requirements.
- Measure and join pipes using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement paste or solder.
- Operate threading, brazing and soldering equipment.
- Install venting according to code and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Install appliances according to specification and code.
- Test pipes for leaks.
Gasfitters perform similar work as plumbers and steamfitters-pipefitters. For further details about this occupation, please see the High School to Apprenticeship handbook, or find it on this website under “Resources.” More information can also be found at http://tradeupsask.ca/electrical-power-line-and-cable-workers.
*While Gasfitter is not a designated trade in Saskatchewan, the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission examines clients in this occupation on behalf of the Ministry of Government Relations and licenses are then issued by their Gas and Electrical Licensing Branch.