Amendments to Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Regulations

The Government of Saskatchewan today announced amendments to the province’s Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Regulations, 2003, as part of its commitment to ensuring a quality apprenticeship system in the province, and to reducing inter-provincial barriers to labour mobility.

Read more.

32 Comments on “Amendments to Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Regulations”

  1. Hi i will like information about how or what do i need to chalenge exam for truck and transport mechanic thanks.

  2. Hello. I am interested in a career change and would like some information about what is required for me to take a course in horticulture

    1. Hello, and thanks for your interest in the skilled trades. Please have a look at the information contained on the Designated Trades page under Landscape Horticulturist. Here’s a direct link: You can also find more detailed information in the What is Apprenticeship pamphlet ( ) and in the High School Completion and Your Future in the Skilled Trades ( ) book that covers details on all the trades. Have a great day.

  3. I understand the Saskatchewan Government has discontinued the Apprentices Program. I am being told by my employer that has just laid me off. He has explained the the Program has been terminated and I have been Laid off as of 4 days now.

    1. There must be some confusion. The Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Program is a type of training program where a person learns the skills of a trade by working on the job and then going to school to reinforce what they’ve learned. This training system has been around in Saskatchewan for over 70 years. Probably your employer has laid you off due to a work slow down but not because there is no Saskatchewan Apprenticeship program. It would be best to see if another employer would be willing to hire and train you as an apprentice, and then sign a new apprenticeship contract with them. In the meantime, feel free to discuss your situation by calling us toll free at 1-877-363-0536. Best wishes for a quick resolution to your situation.

      1. Dear Audrey Wolf,
        Actually I have worked in a salon as an apprentice once finished hairstyling program of college in Ontario. I have a plan to move to Saskatchewan this March or April. Can I have apprenticeship continually In Saskatchewan if I work at a salon? If it impossible, what do I need to get involved in apprenticeship of Saskatchewan?

  4. hey Audrey, I have more than six year experience in automotive as well as in auto body shop out of Canada and around one year in Canada.So I want to become journeyman in both field, what I need to do thanks

    1. Hello,

      It sounds like you might qualify to challenge the journeyperson certification exam as a trade qualifier in the Automotive Service Technician trade or the Motor Vehicle Body Repairer trade. Please visit the trade qualifier page on our website for more information: You can also call us toll-free at 1-877-363-0536 to speak to someone about the trade qualifier application process.

  5. Hello i’m from Venezuela.

    I’d love to get into an apprenticeship program, but i’d like to know how do i apply, and if there’s a fee. Also, i’d like to know if i get monetary compensation while i work in the apprenticeship or how could i sustain myself (I’d be hard to sustain myself only with money from my country)

    1. Hi Adrian,

      In order to become an apprentice in Saskatchewan, you need to secure employment in your trade in the province.
      The apprenticeship registration fee is $175. While you’re working and learning on the job, you will be paid by your employer.
      To learn more about apprenticeship in Saskatchewan, please visit the following page on our website:
      You can also call us at 1-877-363-0536 if you’d like to speak to someone about apprenticeship in Saskatchewan.

      If you’d like to learn more about living and working in Saskatchewan, you can visit the following website: or email Hope this helps!

  6. Hello

    I have more than 16000 + hours of work experience as COOK in Australia.
    I want to know about how to get the certificate of Qualifications and can I challenge the exam with my level of experience.
    I have even completed 2 years Hospitality Diploma.
    I look forward to hearing from you.

  7. Hi!

    I came to Calgary AB as temporary visitor and decided to apply for trade certificate-automotive service technician based on experience and I was qualified for the test but unfortunately I can not challenge the test because they want to have/comply with employers declaration which is obviously want me to have an employment in Alberta which I don’t have right now because I am not legally allowed to work unless someone will hire me as temporary foreign worker. Prior to my application i went personally to AIT office to confirm if I can challenge the test without employment, and they said YES. Now that my application is already approved and question them what happen they just answer it is a pilot project I can not challenge the test.

    My question now is, is Saskatchewan apprenticeship follow the same rules? meaning you are only allowed to take the test if you have employment? immigration requirements given certain points to trade person for the express entry, it is not basically limited to those who are working individual because usually applicant for express entry coming from outside Canada. Just a personal thoughts. thank you.

    1. Hi Stephen,

      Thanks for your inquiry. In order to challenge the Journeyperson certification exam in Saskatchewan, you need to be a resident of Saskatchewan.

      You can apply to be assessed to see if you would meet eligibility to write the certification examination here in Saskatchewan. In order to qualify as an Internationally Trained Worker in the Automotive Service Technician trade, you must prove 10,800 hours and 6 years of trade experience. We would require the following to be submitted:

      • Form 7 – Trade Qualifer Application for Assessment
      • Translated copies of Credentials (Diplomas/Certificates/Transcripts) if applicable
      • Form 6a – Verification of Trade Experience to be completed by your employer(s)
      • Letters from your employer(s) verifying your employment with contact information (address, phone number, email)

      To learn more and to access the necessary forms, please visit the following web page: You can also call us at 1-877-363-0536 for more information.

  8. hi Chelsea,

    Thank you for taking time reading my enquiry. so, basically the eligibility requirements is almost the same here in Alberta. Assuming I meet all the requirements do you require applicant must currently employed in Saskatchewan before you can challenge the test?
    As I’ve mentioned to my previous enquiry here in Alberta I qualify/eligible to challenge the test but I can not do it because they want me to have employer first for the reason that I need the declaration letter signed before I can take the test as part of their PILOT PROJECT.

    Thank you,

    1. Hi Stephen,

      You do not need to be currently employed in Saskatchewan, but you do need to be a resident of Saskatchewan. Please give us a call at 1-877-363-0536 if you require any additional clarification.

  9. Hi, i was wondering how long you needed to be not active in your trade before they can cancel your apprenticeship. Im a 3rd year electrician with over 7200 hours, i failed my 3rd year in June 2016, and got laid off Sept. 2106. I have not been able to find a job since. I am being told my apprenticeship is being cancelled. It has been 5 months with no activity. Please tell me there is something I can do?

    1. I have forwarded your questions to our Assessment Unit. You should be hearing from them shortly. Thanks.

  10. Hello I am a level 2 truck and transport mechanic in Manitoba and I am interested in moving to saskatchewan and would like to know if I would have to restart my career in truck and transport/ heavy duty or if I could apply for my level 3 and just continue my training where I left off in Manitoba.

  11. Hi Audrey. I need some clarification. Sask polytech offers 17 weeks plumber and pipefitting applied certificate program. Do I still need to find employee in this industry or can I go ahead , take the course and find a job and gain experience after. How do I become journeyman person after. Thank you

    1. Hi Julia. You can take the applied certificate course without having an employer. To become a journeyperson, you will need to indenture as an apprentice, complete the required hours in the trade (which is 7200 for plumber), then pass the journeyperson exam.

  12. Hi,
    I have completed two years Diploma in Hotel and Catering management in Nigeria and have been working as Cook Supervisor in Qatar since 2012, i will to know the step in acquiring trade certificate in SK with this qualification and also if I am qualify to apply to challenge the final exam. This is for Express Entry Purpose.

    I look forward for your feedback.


  13. Hii Audrey

    I am Jatinder Kumar from India.i am working as cnc operator(Machinist) from last 3-4 years. i have also a one year trade certification in the same field. i want to get a certification to work in Canada as CNC operator is it possible please provide your valuable feedback thank you.

  14. Hello,
    I am wakaso from Ghana.
    I have a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and I have a couple of years of experience.
    But I enjoy and crave working hand tools like the trade personnel do and so will like to switch to trade job.
    Since I already have B.Sc, I am wondering if I still need to go for class work in the apprentice program because I believe most of the topics are already covered under my degree education.
    I also want to ask if the trade qualifier can assess my engineering work experience and determine the best starting point for me.


    1. Hello, you will need to follow the steps outlined in the Trade Qualifier Application Process and they will assess your degree credentials. Review the steps outlined on the website as I believe they answer your questions. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *